Hi folks,

Just a quick update on the state of the wetland cells at Mitchell.

The shorebird cell behind the parking lot is now almost completely dried up
with just some water at the west end nearest the bushlot and almost completely
covered by an algae pad.
The cell behind the plant is great for shorebirds again with algae building up
and I observed literally a few hundred birds everywhere in the cell.
And finally, the largest cell at the back now has several feet of muddy edge
ALL the way around it with smaller numbers of shorebirds.
:
- Greater Yellowlegs (3)
- Semi-palmated Sandpiper (4)
- Semi-palmated Plover (2)
- Solitary Sandpiper (32 – this is the highest number of this species I’ve ever
had at this site and they were found all over the cells)
- Killdeer (tons)
- Lesser Yellowlegs (tons)
- Least Sandpiper (lots – with a fairly large flock of 54 that flew out to the
west and then southwest as dark approached)
- Spotted Sandpiper (30+ again one of the higher counts I can remember and
noted both adults and fresh juvies)
- Stilt Sandpiper (1)
- Pectoral Sandpiper (3)

Best bird of the day ... a wonderful BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO that I first heard in
the small trees to the south side of the shorebird cell...and then it literally
flew right down the berm towards me before lighting in a tree not 30 feet away!
 Nice. It sat for a good minute before heading further eastward along the berm
to the big tree located there.

The fenced in cell is still full of water with little edge to it...but some
waterfowl can be found there.

Good birding!

Dave

Directions to West Perth Wetlands:

>From the East (Guelph, Kitchener-Waterloo, GTA) - take Hwy 8 thru

Stratford heading west to first lights in Mitchell (Wellington St) and
turn left (south) and continue till you hit the "T" intersection at the

ball diamond.  Lagoon cells are straight back behind the ball diamond

and soccer fields and the sewage treatment plant.  You can go straight ahead

on the gravel and park next to the berm.

>From the London area....take Hwy 23 into Mitchell from the south and

just after you pass the "Welcome to Mitchell" sign...watch for Frank

St...go right on Frank St and head down over the bridge till you get to

the ball diamond (will be on your right).  Again...the cells are behind

the ball diamond and soccer fields. You can go straight ahead

on the gravel and park next to the berm.

>From Southampton area....take Hwy 21, to Goderich and then Hwy 8 to

Clinton and down to Mitchell, turn south on Hwy 23 to Frank St. and turn

left on Frank St. and head over the bridge to the ball diamonds (which

will be on your right). You can go straight ahead on the gravel and park

next to the berm.