>From : Tim Mccarthy via Ontbirds.

Thanks to all who agreed to go out today and try and find some Broadwinged
Hawks. Its like the Gods of Raptorwatching said we should all stay home today
because, instead of behaving like my cocka-mamey theory, the Broaddies are
doing this year what they should be doing which is pouring through the North
Shore routes when the weather gives Northwest winds, just like nothing unusual
ever happens. Never mind, I'll be here next year and so will you.

The cheerfulness in the face of dire adversity award goes to Kai Millyard who
went out to see Broaddies even though he knew there wouldn't be any. And the
first prize if there was one should surely go to Deirdre and Robert Bean who
went out to see Broadwings at Beechwood Cemetary, Jane and Steeles, and
actually managed to see them. Well, one, anyway. Good place for the little guys
to get hunkered down before the rains came, I guess.

Tomorrow looks like it might be a little birdier so anyone who doesn't go out
for  the Durham annual bird bash or the Hamilton Lakeshore outrageous yeager
watch can please join me at High Park. There are some folks coming out to the
Hill tomorrow for the very first day of The High Park Raptor Watching School!
I'd rather see them than a truckload of Eagles.

 I was there today of course and was entertained for hours by 2 of our stalwart
residents. Robbie the Rotten resident Redtail sat up in the Old Oak all morning
entertaining both me and a small group of heckling Goldfinches, Woodpeckers and
squirrels. He even dropped me a feather to stick in my hat (along with a lot of
more disgusting stuff.) And Minnie Cooper skulked around through the treetops
making sure all the other accipiters kept moving along except there weren't any.

Normally I wouldn't write anything about a Raptorwatch like today, but after
all, it was supposed to have been the LInear Watch Day, though there wasn't
really a need for it and what actually happened there on the Hill  was so dumb
it was entertaining.

A better day is coming.

Good luck and Happy Hawking,

Tim

Hawk Hill, and the Raptor Watching School, are conveniently located right next
to the Grenadier Restaurant Parking lot so you get good eats, a place to park,
go to the loo and above all learn to be a good Raptor Watcher.