Detroit River Hawk Watch
Brownstown, Michigan, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 18, 2016

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture              20            263            263
Osprey                       0              7              7
Bald Eagle                   0             28             28
Northern Harrier             7            119            119
Sharp-shinned Hawk         168           1215           1215
Cooper's Hawk                2             27             27
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              0              0
Broad-winged Hawk            3           3340           3340
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              0
Red-tailed Hawk              0             80             80
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel            15            302            302
Merlin                       1             12             12
Peregrine Falcon             0              0              0
Unknown Accipiter            0              3              3
Unknown Buteo                0              4              4
Unknown Falcon               0              1              1
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              8              8

Total:                     216           5409           5409

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end   time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter:        Dustin Brewer

Observers:        Andrew Sturgess, Don Sherwood

Visitors:
Many people joined us at the count today because of the Hawkfest that was
scheduled to coincide with the anticipated Broad-winged Hawk migration. The
most visitors that were counted at one time was ~60.

Weather:
We arrived to find fog that limited visibility for the first couple hours
of the count today. The wind was very weak, and began from the west and
eventually shifted to come from the south and east. Humidity dropped as the
day went by, and barometric pressure stayed the same. Just before we were
about to finish the count at 3:00, a brief rain occurred.

Raptor Observations:
After the fog burned off, Sharpies were moving all day, with a peak
movement between 11 and 12. American Kestrels were also counted during
every hourly period after 9, though always at lesser numbers than the
Sharpies. We only spotted three very distant Broad-winged Hawks, to the
northwest. We were lucky enough to see a Merlin, which has been hanging
around the count site for the last few days, harass a migrating
Sharp-shinned Hawk.

Non-raptor Observations:
Blue Jays were moving this morning, and we counted over 150. Several
Greater Yellowlegs also flew by in a small flock. Red-winged Blackbirds and
Canada Geese were moving southward as well.

Predictions:
Given the multiple days in a row without much in the way of Broad-winged
Hawk migration, and the historical data which suggests that they should be
coming, tomorrow could be a good day to see this species in large numbers.
The day is predicted to be sunny, so rain shouldn't stop migrants.
Report submitted by Detroit River Hawk Watch (greg_norw...@fws.gov)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.drhawkwatch.org