Holiday Beach Conservation Area
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 20, 2016

Turkey Vulture               8             81             81
Osprey                       2             48             48
Bald Eagle                   4             80             80
Northern Harrier            23            218            218
Sharp-shinned Hawk         428           2465           2465
Cooper's Hawk                0             59             59
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              0              0
Broad-winged Hawk          223           4936           4936
Red-tailed Hawk              3             97             97
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel            96            733            733
Merlin                       5             72             72
Peregrine Falcon             1              6              6
Unknown Accipiter            0              2              2
Unknown Buteo                1              4              4
Unknown Eagle                0              1              1
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              0              0
Swainson's Hawk              0              1              1

Total:                     794           8803           8803

Observation start time: 06:00:00
Observation end   time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter:        Sean Jenniskens

Observers:        Ed Pitts, Jim McCoy, Karen Padbury, Larry Ludwicki,
                  Michael Williamson, Patrick Tomlinson, Steve Wagner

Visitors:
Rob and Anne, originally from around the area, came by for there first
visit in many years!

Weather:
Well, the N winds they were calling for came and left soon after, and the
majority of the winds throughout the rest of the day were out of the SW.
And yet another hot day up in the sun on the tower.

Raptor Observations:
It was a fairly steady day migration wise, with fair numbers of Northern
Harrier, Sharp-shinned Hawk, and American Kestrel, with a few Merlin and a
Peregrine Falcon as nice additions. A few reasonably small kettles of
Broad-winged Hawks moved past on the N edge of our view, and we likely
missed a number migrating past just N of our view.

Non-raptor Observations:
8306 Blue Jays today. Numbers of Yellow-rumped Warblers have just started
increasing with at least 6 today, and with that we must start saying
goodbye to the other warblers. For the full eBird checklist, go to
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S31682202 98 Black Saddlebags, 6
Green Darners, 2 Twelve-spotted Skimmers, and 136 Monarchs were observed
migrating.

Predictions:
Tomorrows winds are predicted to be out of the E and S, but maybe we will
get lucky and the birds will fly regardless. More relatively clear skies!
Report submitted by Sean Jenniskens (seanjennisk...@hotmail.com)
Holiday Beach Conservation Area information may be found at:
http://hbmo.ca/