From: David Szmyr via ONTBIRDS
<birdalert@ontbirds.ca<mailto:birdalert@ontbirds.ca>>
Subject: [Ontbirds] OFO Trip Summary Report- Palgrave, Beeton Sod Farms,
Schomberg Lagoons
Date: August 26, 2017 at 8:16:42 PM EDT
To: "birdalert@ontbirds.ca<mailto:birdalert@ontbirds.ca>"
<birdalert@ontbirds.ca<mailto:birdalert@ontbirds.ca>>

A total of 14 OFO members spent a very nice day looking for shorebirds in the
morning and woodland birds in the afternoon.

The Beeton sod farms have been quite slow so far this year, but the group did
manage good looks at 7 Black-bellied Plovers, and even better looks when a
Merlin chased the flock over our heads. Several Horned Larks and a single Wild
Turkey were also observed.

A trip to the Everett Gravel Pits was well worth a look. Highlights included a
single juvenile Stilt Sandpiper, Semipalmated Sandpiper, Lesser Yellowlegs, and
12 Great Egrets.

An afternoon hike in the Palgrave Conservation Area produced a good arrangement
of warbler species among other songbirds. Notable species included Bay-breasted
Warbler, Blackburnian, Magnolia and Chestnut-sided Warbler. Watching a male
Black-throated Green Warbler repeatedly attempt to glean a rather large
caterpillar from the underside of a leaf was also highly entertaining.

Our final stop of the day was the Schomberg Sewage Lagoons. A pair of Trumpeter
Swans, single Pied-billed Grebe, Eastern Phoebe, and Traill’s Flycatcher
rounded out the trip.

A total of 64 Species were counted on the day.

Thanks to all who joined us, your friendly and positive attitude helped make
for a very enjoyable trip. Also many thanks to Josh Mandell for his assistance.

If any trip members are interested in the complete list of species for our day,
please feel free to contact me.

Cheers,
Dave Szmyr