Hello,

Bob Curry, George Bryant and I were at Queen Elizabeth Park in Cochrane on 20
July when Bob heard a Northern Cardinal sing. George and I jumped out of the
van and heard the cardinal sing again a few seconds later. The bird was in the
backyard of a residence along 12th Ave and likely flew, unseen by us, a few
seconds later as we never heard it again despite playing recordings of cardinal
songs. Nonetheless, there was no mistaking the song of a Northern Cardinal.

We actually considered the possibility of a loud bird clock going off but it
was a quarter after the hour so we dismissed this hypothesis.

The bird is very likely still in the area. This species has been observed in
the Cochrane town area previously as there is an eBird record about 8km NE of
town on 19 April 1991. And of course the species has been observed in Moosonee;
a female from 3 Jan - 3 March 1992, and a male and female were observed
together there on 15 August 2011!

Bill