I'll just quote what I said on github:

Neither this pull nor the BIP has any stated intention of phasing out
bloom filtering support in the protocol. As much as I'd love to, I 100%
agree with @mikehearn here, that would break any ability of SPV clients
to operate on the P2P network (either as a way to double-check
centralized servers, or otherwise), and that is really not a good idea
without a replacement in place. This pull/BIP DOES suggest we phase out
REQUIRED bloom filtering support in the protocol - thereby fixing the
peer selection of SPV clients in the face of btcd with some flags/many
patched versions of Core/etc peers, providing a remedy for a potential
DoS attack, etc.

Matt