On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 02:56:08PM -0700, Jonathan Toomim (Toomim Bros) via
bitcoin-dev wrote:
> I just noticed that several of my running bitcoind processes were using
> around 3+ GB of RAM, even though the mempool itself seemed to be under
> control.
>
> XXXX@prime:~/bin$ ./bitcoin-cli getmempoolinfo
> {
>     "size" : 1896,
>     "bytes" : 37341328
> }
>
> [total memory usage not shown -- I restarted bitcoind as soon as I noticed,
> and didn't copy it down from top]

This is *most likely* the mempool, but is just not reported correctly.

In the meantime you can mitigate the mempool growth by setting `-mintxfee`, see
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/v0.11.0/doc/release-notes.md#transaction-flooding

This will be the default in 0.11.1 and 0.10.3. 0.12.0 will have better mempool
management, as well as more precise reporting (as paveljanik already mentions.)

Wladimir