On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 10:30:52AM +0000, Btc Drak via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> BIP68 introduces relative lock-time semantics to part of the nSequence
> field leaving the majority of bits undefined for other future applications.
>
> BIP112 introduces opcode CHECKSEQUENCEVERIFY (OP_CSV) that is specifically
> limited to verifying transaction inputs according to BIP68's relative
> lock-time[1], yet the _name_ OP_CSV is much boarder than that. We spent
> months limiting the number of bits used in BIP68 so they would be available
> for future use cases, thus we have acknowledged there will be completely
> different usecases that take advantage of unused nSequence bits.
>
> For this reason I believe the BIP112 should be renamed specifically for
> it's usecase, which is verifying the time/maturity of transaction inputs
> relative to their inclusion in a block.
>
> Suggestions:-
>
> CHECKMATURITYVERIFY

Definitely this one.

Although I wouldn't rush to make the change just yet - I for one am busy
writing some test programs to actually use BIP112, and in theory they
might say the more general CSV concept is better.

Whatever we call it, deciding on that is a simple s/FOO/BAR/ prior to
release.

--
'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org
000000000000000008cd594ba6601fcc5e9e919b30630076c64657209b13c7b4