Oops, forgot to reply to your last point.

Indeed, we could push for more place by just always having one 0-byte,
but I'm not sure the added complexity helps anything? ASICs can never be
designed which use more extra-nonce-space than what they can reasonably
assume will always be available, so we might as well just set the
maximum number of bytes and let ASIC designers know exactly what they
have available. Currently blocks start with at least 8 0-bytes. We could
just say minimum difficulty is now 6 0-bytes (2**16x harder) and reserve
those? Anyway, someone needs to take a closer look at the midstate
optimization stuff to see what is reasonable required.

Matt