On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 8:06 PM, G. Andrew Stone via bitcoin-dev
<bitcoin-dev@lists.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> The Bitcoin Unlimited client needs a services bit to indicate that the node
> is capable of communicating thin blocks.  We propose to use bit 4 as AFAIK
> bit 3 is already earmarked for Segregated Witness.

Does this functionality change peer selection?  If not, the preferred
signaling mechanism is probably the one in BIP 130.

Otherwise, I think the standard method for getting numbers has been to
write a BIP documenting the usage. I don't know if that is intentional
or just how things have previously happened; and I don't have much of
an opinion on it.