Have you checked AudioModem out:
https://github.com/applidium/AudioModem

Or Chirp:
http://www.chirp.io/faq/

Or this Network World article (particularly the last portion on bitcoin):
http://www.networkworld.com/article/2956450/smartphones/sending-data-over-sound-revisited.html
and
http://www.networkworld.com/article/2689597/opensource-subnet/how-a-tv-network-is-being-used-to-move-financial-transactions.html

Instead of re-inventing the wheel, perhaps take a look at them.  Or at
least to see their design choices and rationale.

Cheers!