As Luke pointed, BIP44 is already used by many wallets and to my knowledge
people don't have any real world issues with that, including loading funds
in another BIP44 wallet. I'm not saying that BIP44 is perfect from all
points of view, but IMO it just works for most use cases. Let's set it as
final, and propose competing standards which cover all your concerns.

slush