>From my experience working with coin selection algorithms, there are
three "goals" to it:

1. Minimize cost
2. Maximize privacy
3. Minimize UTXO footprint

You can build a coin selection algorithm that achieves 1 and 3, but
will sacrifice 2. If you want coin selectin to maximize your privacy,
it will happen at the expense of UTXO footprint and fees. Minimizing
cost usually also minimizes UTXO footprint but not always. To
completely minimize UTXO footprint, you sacrifice a bit on cost, and a
lot on privacy.