On 05/11/2017 01:36 PM, Aymeric Vitte via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> Sorry again, is this discussion really serious?
>
> In this thread, previous ones or others, the level of approximation
> is obvious, often shadowed by useless maths/papers and strange
> calculations that are not helping, at the end nobody knows what
> would happen "if", how far the chain can roll back, etc
>
> Then don't make pruning the default if it's the current concern,
> pruning is of no use
>
> Again, the priority should be to scale the full nodes

I agree. Every full node operator should (and likely would at some
point) simply never connect to, or relay the address of, any "peer"
advertising itself as diminished. Why on earth would a full node
operator want to encourage shrinking support for bootstrapping and
deep reorgs, resulting in greater load for himself. That's a race to
the bottom.

We are literally talking about $7.50 for the *entire chain* with
breathing room. If someone wants to save a few dollars they are better
off attempting to hide their pruning.

> Le 11/05/2017 à 22:10, Jonas Schnelli via bitcoin-dev a écrit :
>>> Is 49 days particularly useful? Would it be a problem to
>>> instead leave both- bits undefined? I'm thinking this might be
>>> better as a way to indicate "7 days, plus a deterministically
>>> chosen set of historical blocks"…
>> I though two service bits allow three states and we should define
>> all three combinations. But I guess an adequate „definition“
>> would be to reserve it for future „definitions“. Or use Gregory's
>> proposal of min 2016*2 blocks & keep it „undefined“ for now.
>>
>> 49 days was chosen to allow SPV peers to be „offline“ for a month
>> and still be capable to catch-up with a peer pruned to a datadir
>> of ~10GB.
>>
>>> This is technically true right now, but as soon as segwit
>>> activates, it will no longer be... Therefore, I suggest
>>> striking it from the BIP, expounding on it in greater detail,
>>> or making it true for the longer term.
>> AFAIK Core does also guaranteed the 288 blocks post segwit
>> activation:
>> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/08a7316c144f9f2516db8fa624008
93f4358c5ae/src/validation.h#L204

But maybe I’m confused.