The problem with >100kb transactions isn't that there are a lot of
already-signed transactions out there, or even that there are good use
cases for them, but that such transactions and use cases could exist, and
there is no way of disallowing them without possibly costing someone a lot
of money. Slowly reducing the limit doesn't really solve this problem.

I propose to make them hard enough to confirm that no-one will use them
without a very good reason. Just require that any block containing an
outsized transaction be mined at a greater difficulty – quadratically
greater. Such a block is more expensive *for the block's miner*, not just
for the other miners, or for other nodes. Anyone who really, really needs
to use a 400kb transaction can pay a miner to mine it.

Quadratic hashing isn't risky when it is inherently limited by a
corresponding reduction in the rate at which the "bad" blocks can be
generated. That said, there's nothing I can see which is actually good
about large, expensive to validate transactions, and so >1MB transactions
should remain invalid, as they are today.

Nathan Cook