I'm all for using height instead of time. That was my preference for
bip9 all along, but my arguments at the time apparently weren't
convincing.

Regarding luke's proposal, the only advantage I see is that it would
allow nodes that don't know a deployment that gets activated to issue
a warning, like bip9 always does when an unknown deployment is locked
in.

But there's a simpler way to do that which doesn't require to add
consensus rules as to what versionbits should be.
I'm honestly not worried about it being "coersive" and I don't think
it's inherently reckless (although used with short deployment times
like bip148 it can be IMO). But it adds more complexity to the
consensus rules, with something that could merely be "warning code".

You can just use a special bit in versionbits for nodes to get the warning.
My proposal doesn't guarantee that the warning will be signaled, for
example, if the miner that mines the block right after lock in doesn't
know about the deployment, he can't possibly know that he was supposed
to signal the warning bit, even if he has the best intentions. Miners
can also intentionally not signal it out of pure malice. But that's no
worse than the current form, when deployments activated by final date
instead of miner signaling never get a warning.

Shaolinfry had more concerns with my proposed modification, but I
think I answered all of them here:

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10462#issuecomment-306266218

The implementation of the proposal is there too. I'm happy to reopen
and rebase to simplify (#10464 was merged and there's at least 1
commit to squash).

> It also enables deploying softforks as a MASF, and only upgrading them to UASF
on an as-needed basis.

You can also do

consensus.vDeployments[Consensus::DEPLOYMENT_MASF].bit = 0;
consensus.vDeployments[Consensus::DEPLOYMENT_MASF].nStartHeight = 500000;
consensus.vDeployments[Consensus::DEPLOYMENT_MASF].nTimeoutHeight = 510000;
consensus.vDeployments[Consensus::DEPLOYMENT_MASF].lockinontimeout = false;

and "if needed", simply add the following at any time (before the new
nStartHeight, obviously):

consensus.vDeployments[Consensus::DEPLOYMENT_UASF].bit = 0;
consensus.vDeployments[Consensus::DEPLOYMENT_UASF].nStartHeight = 510000;
consensus.vDeployments[Consensus::DEPLOYMENT_UASF].nTimeoutHeight = 515000;
consensus.vDeployments[Consensus::DEPLOYMENT_UASF].lockinontimeout = true;