On 07/13/2017 06:39 AM, Hampus Sjöberg via bitcoin-dev wrote:
>> I believe that a good reason not to wish your node to be segwit
> compliant is to avoid having to deal with the extra bandwidth that
> segwit could require.   Running a 0.14.2 node means being ok with >1MB
> blocks, in case segwit is activated and widely used. Users not
> interested in segwit transactions may prefer to keep the cost of their
> node lower.
>
> If the majority of the network decides to deploy SegWit, it would be in
> your best interest to validate the SegWit transactions, because you
> might will be downgraded to near-SPV node validation.
> It would be okay to still run a "non-SegWit" node if there's no SegWit
> transactions in the chain of transactions for your bitcoins, otherwise
> you cannot fully verify the the ownership of your bitcoins.
> I'm not sure the practicality of this in the long run, but it makes a
> case for having an up-to-date non-SegWit node, although I think it's a
> bit of a stretch.

Right.  Well, if I never upgrade to segwit, then there seems little
(zero?) risk of having any segwit tx in my tx chain.

Thus this would be a way I could continue with a lower bandwidth cap and
also keep my coins "untainted", so to speak.

I'm not sure about it for the long run either.  more just something of
an experiment.