> On 22 Sep 2017, at 12:33 AM, Luke Dashjr <l...@dashjr.org> wrote:
>
> On Thursday 21 September 2017 8:02:42 AM Johnson Lau wrote:
>> I think it’s possible only if you spend more witness space to store the
>> (pubkey, message) pairs, so that old clients could understand the
>> aggregation produced by new clients. But this completely defeats the
>> purpose of doing aggregation.
>
> SigAgg is a softfork, so old clients *won't* understand it... am I missing
> something?
>
> For example, perhaps the lookup opcode could have a data payload itself (eg,
> like pushdata opcodes do), and the script can be parsed independently from
> execution to collect the applicable ones.

I think the current idea of sigagg is something like this: the new OP_CHECKSIG
still has 2 arguments: top stack must be a 33-byte public key, and the 2nd top
stack item is signature. Depends on the sig size, it returns different value:

If sig size is 0, it returns a 0 to the top stack
If sig size is 1, it is treated as a SIGHASH flag, and the SignatureHash()
“message” is calculated. It sends the (pubkey, message) pair to the aggregator,
and always returns a 1 to the top stack
If sig size is >1, it is treated as the aggregated signature. The last byte is
SIGHASH flag. It sends the (pubkey, message) pair and the aggregated signature
to the aggregator, and always returns a 1 to the top stack.

If all scripts pass, the aggregator will combine all pairs to obtain the aggkey
and aggmsg, and verify against aggsig. A tx may have at most 1 aggsig.

(The version I presented above is somewhat simplified but should be enough to
illustrate my point)

So if we have this script:

OP_1 OP_RETURNTRUE <pubkey> OP_CHECKSIG

Old clients would stop at the OP_RETURNTRUE, and will not send the pubkey to
the aggregator

If we softfork OP_RETURNTRUE to something else, even as OP_NOP11, new clients
will send the (key, msg) pair to the aggregator. Therefore, the aggregator of
old and new clients will see different data, leading to a hardfork.

OTOH, OP_NOP based softfork would not have this problem because it won’t
terminate script and return true.

>>> This is another approach, and one that seems like a good idea in general.
>>> I'm not sure it actually needs to take more witness space - in theory,
>>> such stack items could be implied if the Script engine is designed for
>>> it upfront. Then it would behave as if it were non-verify, while
>>> retaining backward compatibility.
>>
>> Sounds interesting but I don’t get it. For example, how could you make a
>> OP_MUL out of OP_NOP?
>
> The same as your OP_MULVERIFY at the consensus level, except new clients
> would
> execute it as an OP_MUL, and inject pops/pushes when sending such a
> transaction to older clients. The hash committed to for the script would
> include the inferred values, but not the actual on-chain data. This would
> probably need to be part of some kind of MAST-like softfork to be viable, and
> maybe not even then.
>
> Luke

I don’t think it’s worth the code complexity, just to save a few bytes of data
sent over wire; and to be a soft fork, it still takes the block space.

Maybe we could create many OP_DROPs and OP_2DROPs, so new VERIFY operations
could pop the stack. This saves 1 byte and also looks cleaner.

Another approach is to use a new script version for every new non-verify type
operation. Problem is we will end up with many versions. Also, signatures from
different versions can’t be aggregated. (We may have multiple aggregators in a
transaction)