Thank you very much for writing this up.  It's worth noting that there can be
multiple roots for the transactions that are getting replaced.

So for rule 3, you probably want a feeRate >= the max "package fee rate" of all
replaced roots.

I am very happy with this proposal in general, as it's clearly a step in the
right direction for making transaction replacement practically usable for
todays services.

However, I think your new rule 4 is a bit weak. The logical extension of your
proposal would be to allow a transaction (say B) be able to replace
transactions (say A) by purely paying a higher fee rate, /even if it's less
absolute fee/. In this simple example of B replacing A -- B should pay at
least:   (a.FeeRate * b.size) + relayFeeRate*(a.size + b.size)

​-Ryan

​