Hi Caius

Thanks for brining this up.
As far as it looks, one of the major SPV library does not yet respect the
NODE_BLOOM service flag [1]. Unsure sure about others.

It think disabling NODE_BLOOM services by default in full node implementations
makes sense as soon as BIP158 [2] (compact block filters) has been implemented
and therefore NODE_COMPACT_FILTERS is signalled broadly. Unsure if it would
make sense to even wait for block filter commitment softfork (probably no).

Then, the question is, if there are alternatives for mempool filtering (display
unconfirmed transactions) or if the protocol recommendation are to disable that
by default or recommend to use centralised filtering technique via wallet
provider infrastructure (privacy?!).

I guess everyone here agrees that there are major privacy and load-distribution
issues with BIP37, and, that it should be disabled in the long run.
But, due to the lack of alternatives, there is the risk of breaking existing
SPV client models and thus pushing users to complete centralised
validation-solutions (and even towards centralised key-storage), which, may
result in making privacy and security even more worse.

I personally miss a long term concept how to keep non expert users (or say
light clients) close to the p2p protocol in a decentralized fashion. Unclear
how decentralized fee estimations and „incoming transactions“ (which is
something users want even if it's a broken concept) are handled in the future.

—
/jonas

[1] https://github.com/bitcoinj/bitcoinj/pull/1212
[2] https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0158.mediawiki