Greetings,

(The quoted proposal is already outdated, and I recommend you check
out the up to date formatted version here:
https://github.com/kallewoof/bips/blob/bip-generic-signmessage/bip-0322.mediawiki
The PR with comments is here: https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/pull/725)

A big part of the feedback boils down to conflicts of opinion related
to whether or not proofs should be given as transactions or not.

I am attempting to write down the pros and cons below, some of which
are contradictory/complementary based on multiple people's opinions.

Pros of using transaction format:
1. works out of the box with existing HSM:s, some of which may be
purposefully built to not be upgradable for security reasons (unless
sighash modified; see below)
2. easier to incorporate into existing software
3. forward compatible with bitcoin extensions (e.g. mimblewimble,
confidential transactions, etc)
4. HSM:s *should* be blind to whether or not a transaction or a
message or proof of funds is being signed (see Con #3)

Cons:
1. dangerous if challenger is able to convince prover to sign a
message that corresponds to an actual transaction; modifying sighash
is suggested, but defeats pro #1 above; can define in tx to have txin
as sighash to guarantee invalid on chain
2. unupgraded software are unable to make distinction between message
sign and transaction sign
3. if HSM:s do not support it and do not support upgrading, this is by
design, and message signing should be explicitly supported or not be
possible (see Pro #4)
4. severely cripples UX for hardware wallets that actually show the
contents of the transaction during the signing

If anyone has comments on this, it would be tremendously appreciated.

There is also a divided opinion on whether an "OP_MESSAGEONLY" opcode
should be introduced, but I'd like to address the above first, if
possible.