Hash rate cannot get “more uneconomical”. Mining will always seek a return
equal to the cost of capital, as does all production, and the energy expended
will always be fundamentally a function of the fee level and energy price. Fee
level is determined by variable demand for a fixed supply of confirmation.

When you say greed you are simply referring to economically-rational behavior.
It canny be eliminated, nor would that be a benefit.

WRT energy consumption, there is nothing that can be done to reduce it except
for people to stop using Bitcoin or for energy to get more expensive.