In summary I see three mechansims of making use costly:

1. burn
2. time locked funds, locker will incure opportunity cost
3. proven coin age, holder did incure opportunity cost

I dislike burn as usage of a service is infinite while coin supply is finite.

I prefer time locked funds over coin age as locked funds do not need proof of
unspentness, they can not be spent. Therefore time locked funds can be
sufficiently
proven with SPV. The user of the service could post SPV proof with the request.

Regards,

Tamas Blummer