Good morning ZmnSCPxj,

Sorry for the ambiguity of my last email. It was Sunday and I wrote it in 1 min
on my bed. Let me elaborate what we are thinking of here.

## Analysis on the protocol from Fournier et al.

In this protocol, Bob participates in the swap following the steps below:

1. Alice and Bob creates a payment channel on WJT blockchain.
2. Bob creates the WJT transaction using the joint account of Alice and Bob,
including 1) Bob's input of 1,000,000 WJT, 2) Alice’s input for the 10,000 WJT
premium. This transaction should be signed by both Alice and Bob in order to be
valid.
3. Bob signs the WJT transaction and sends the WJT transaction to Alice.
4. Alice signs this WJT transaction. At this stage, Alice has both the valid
BTC transaction and the valid WJT transaction.
5. Alice broadcasts both the BTC transaction and the WJT transaction.

In a word, Bob is responsible for preparing the WJT transaction, while Alice is
responsible for preparing the BTC transaction and broadcasting both
transactions.

Here, if Bob stalls, nothing will happen, because Bob cannot spend the 10,000
WJT premium without Alice’s signature.
If Alice stalls, you are saying that Bob can spend the input of 1,000,000 WJT
so he does not lose any money.

I have 3 questions on this scheme.

First, I’m not sure how do you define “Alice stalls”. In this case, Alice can
stall by 1) withhold the WJT tx, or 2) broadcast BTC/WJT funding txs but
withhold the preimage.
If 2), this protocol is okay. But what about 1) i.e. Alice withholds the WJT
tx? Here, Bob cannot do anything except for closing the payment channel and
quit.

Second, I’m not sure whether Bob can spend his money in this payment channel
while the payment channel is still valid.
In Bitcoin, Bob needs to close the payment channel and get back his money
first, then he can spend the money.

Third, let’s optimistically assume Bob can close this payment channel without
Alice’s consent.
Now he decides to close this channel if Alice does not broadcast the WJT tx all
the time.
Alice does not need to pay for the premium if she withholds the WJT tx. If
Alice decides not to proceed this swap, Bob should close this channel and get
back 1,000,000 WJT. However, Bob cannot get the 10,000 WJT premium.

In conclusion, Alice’s optionality is not free when she exercises this option,
but is free when she aborts this option.

## What will happen if Alice is responsible for broadcasting both funding txs

If Alice is responsible for broadcasting both txs, Alice can always abort the
swap for free, regardless of how the protocol is designed.
Basically, Bob officially participates in the swap by signing the WJT tx.
After Bob participating, if Alice hopes to abort the swap, she can just
withhold the WJT tx.

In the original Atomic Swap, Bob participates in the swap by signing and
broadcasting the WJT tx, and Alice cannot withhold Bob’s participation.
However, if Alice is responsible for broadcasting Bob’s WJT tx, Alice can
withhold Bob’s participation by withholding the WJT tx.

Therefore, I think for Atomic Swap protocol design, Bob should be responsible
for broadcasting the WJT tx, otherwise the protocol is impossible to be fair to
Bob.

Again, sorry for the ambiguity introduced in our last email, and we look
forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Runchao