Hi ZmnSCPxj,

> The SE can run in a virtual environment that monitors deletion events and
records them.
> Such a virtual environment could be set up by a rootkit that has been
installed on the SE hardware.
> Thus, even if the SE is honest, corruption of the hardware it is running
on can allow recovery of old privkeys and violation of the tr\*st
assumption.

This is true, but this threat can be mitigated with secured infrastructure
and the use of hardware security modules/trusted execution environments
that enable secure (and potentially attestable) deletion.

> Compare this to, for example, TumbleBit or Wasabi.
> In those cases, even if the service providing the mixing is corrupted by
a rootkit on the hardware running the honest service software in a virtual
environment and monitoring all its internal state and communications, they
cannot lead to loss of funds even with cooperation of previous participants.
>They can at most be forced into denial-of-service, but not outright theft
of coins.

Yes, I agree. But on the other side of the scale is a comparison with
centralised mixing services, which remain extremely popular.

> I admit the new solution is superior blockspace-wise, if you consider
multiple mixing rounds.

The aim of the solution is to replicate the UX (in terms of speed) of a
completely centralised mixer (i.e. where the server(s) explicitly holds the
full key(s) to the deposits being swapped) but in a way that makes theft
more difficult (requiring collusion with previous owners), has an in-built
mechanism for users to get back their funds if the service is shut
down/blown-up, provides users with proof of ownership/theft, and with the
same privacy guarantees as the above mentioned trust-minimised protocols.

Cheers,

Tom