Hi Adam,

That's a tricky issue you're trying to tackle.

>and/or use the blockchain for that function, but that is too slow and
expensive, usually

While perhaps not the most easy/practical path to take, it IS possible to
create a custom blockchain for this specific purpose to use as a
censorship-resistant data layer via Blind Merged Mining:
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2019-December/017534.html

Note that while it's not described in detail in my post, there is a
(slightly suboptimal) way to do it without a soft fork.

And here are more details about the perpetual one-way peg mechanism (needed
to pay for fees without introducing speculation):
https://medium.com/@RubenSomsen/21-million-bitcoins-to-rule-all-sidechains-the-perpetual-one-way-peg-96cb2f8ac302

Cheers,
Ruben