“all transactions should be open to the scrutiny of an honest government”

I agree with this. However, scrutiny does not imply dragnet surveillance.

Bitcoin returns us, or at least aspires to return, to the days of a gold
standard.[0] You will be familiar with this, from your time in Her Majesty’s
empire.

In these days, scrutiny implied detectives asking questions. Perhaps they would
ask questions of multiple parties and see if certain numbers matched. There was
no dragnet surveillance, and this as god intended.

We return to these days soon.

I agree with your point about consensus as well. You are free to run a node
supporting a dragnet surveillance fork, and sell your coins that support
gold-like privacy to accumulate more dragnet surveillance coins. I wish you
success with that.

[0]: https://taaalk.co/t/bitcoin-maxima-other-crypto-things