https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5303978.msg55946632#msg55946632

Blockstream satellite codebase includes an alternative serialization
that works a single transaction at a time and saves ~20%.  This avoids
violating layering, preserves single txn access, is compatible with
transaction relay.   (and if you wanted could also be fed to a
multiple txn at a time compressor for additional savings).  This
format makes intelligent use of the entirety of the transaction
format, not just amount encodings but even optimizing predictable
hashes (e.g. for p2sh embedded segwit) -- achieving savings that *no*
generic compressor could ever achieve.

Most of the savings from generic compressors comes from repeated
pubkeys and addresses, so it's highly variable, depends on address
reuse, and will likely be diminished by taproot (due to shrinking
multisig) and very much reduced by signature aggregation in the
future.

If you're thinking about use across networks generic compression
interfaces like zlib have had a pretty disappointing security track
record.

If you search the list archive and bitcoin-core github you'll find
many prior discussions of using generic compressors.