Hi Tobias,

In answer to your questions...

"Isn't your suggestion already covered by BIP39 since there is not
restriction in how you choose your passphrase?"

- Correct, my idea is covered by BIP39, and therefore compatible with
BIP39... I see the 'quantum' passphrase as an optional 'soft fork' leading
towards a more restricted choice of characters, rather than the fuller,
less restrictive choice of characters.

"It's up to any user to choose his password like you propose. I see your
proposal more like a way to choose my password rather than anything that
needs to be implemented somewhere."

- Correct also, my proposal is for an Informational BIP to educate users
how to create a 'quantum' passphrase, which provides the same high degree
of protection (2048^23 combinations) as the original 1st layer mnemonic
seed words. Should their 24 seed words be compromised (or posted on the
internet), this extreme level of protection would make it impossible to
brute-force the wallet without the 'quantum' passphrase.

"Don't I have plausible deniability already with any other password that I
keep in mind, since the seed without the password is already a valid
address?"

- No, because an unrestricted passphrase may contain characters different
to those allowed by the 'quantum' passphrase. Memorisation of the 2nd layer
passphrase is very dangerous, whereby, an unfortunate accident could leave
your family without access to their inherence. The 'quantum' passphrase
encourages the use of multiple metal backup storage devices, but anything
more that A-Z (upper case only), would not be disguised as a 24 word seed.
Therefore, discovery of a backup device with the extra, unrestricted
characters that don't also open a (sacrificial) wallet, will be recognised
as a 2nd layer passphrase... This is when the $5 wrench is brought to the
table to extract the 1st layer seed words.

"One issue might be, that the passphrase is part of the mnemonic. A
hardware wallet needs the passphrase to generate the complete mnemonic
(changing the password does change the resulting seed). Thus you get a
chicken-egg problem, at least for some implementations. Probably you could
use the restore feature to work around this - but it's one step more that
should be mentioned."

- I'm not sure that I fully understand this last paragraph of your email,
but just to be clear, the 'quantum' passphrase is made from the 24 seed
words of a separate wallet. This is essentially the 2nd layer (or 2nd
signing key) to add to the 1st layer (or 1st signing key) required to
complete the full mnemonic, which then provides access to the
passphrase-protected wallet.

eg. The 1st Bitcoin wallet is protected by a 'quantum' passphrase,
containing the seed words of the 2nd Bitcoin wallet; inversely, the 2nd
Bitcoin wallet is protected by a 'quantum' passphrase, containing the seed
words of the 1st Bitcoin wallet.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Regards,

Chris