personally, not speaking for anyone else, i think that proof-of-burn
has a much higher likelihood of being a) good enough security and b)
solving the nothing-at-stake problem

 the only issue i see with a quality PoB implementation is a robust
solution to the block-timing problem.

https://grisha.org/blog/2018/01/23/explaining-proof-of-work/

i do think there *could* be other low-energy solutions to verifiable
timing, just haven't seen one