One interesting thing I thought of: the cost of maintenance of the dust
creates a (very) small incentive to mine transactions that *use* dust
outputs with a slightly lower fee that contain dust, in order to reduce the
future maintenance cost for themselves. However, the rational discount
would likely be vanishingly small.  It would be interesting to add
something to the consensus rules to decrease the vbytes for a transaction
that consumes dust outputs such that the value of removing them from the
system (saving the future cost of maintenance) is approximately equal to
the amount that the fee could be made lower for such transactions. Even
measuring this as a value over the whole (future) bitcoin network, I'm not
sure how to evaluate the magnitude of this future cost.