Hi ZmnSCPxj,

> Either you consume the entire UTXO (take away the "U" from the "UTXO")
completely and in full, or you do not touch the UTXO

Ok, so enabling spending a UTXO partly would be a significant departure
from the systems’ design philosophy.

I have been unclear about the fee part. In my proposal there’s only one
input and zero outputs, so normally there would be no way to set any fee.
One could add a fee field although that would be slightly wasteful — it may
be sufficient to just specify the fee *rate*, for instance 0-255
sat/payload_byte, requiring only one byte for the fee. The calculation of
the actual fee can be performed by both the network and the sender. The fee
equals payload_size*feerate +
an-amount-calculated-by-preset-rules-such-that-it-raises-the-cost-of-the-transaction-to-only-marginally-less-than-what-it
would-have-cost-to-store-the-same-amount-of-data-using-one-or-more-OP_RETURN-transactions.

However explicitly specifying the fee amount is probably preferable for the
sake of transparency.

I wonder if this proposal could technically work. I fully recognize though
that even if it would, it has close to zero chances becoming reality as it
breaks the core design based on *U*TXOs (and likely also a lot of existing
software) — thank you for pointing that out and for your helpful feedback.

Zac