Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the feedback. I indeed only compared it to existing fee-bumping
methods. But sponsors are pretty
similar to CPFP in usage anyways, they 'just' get rid of the complexity of
managing transaction chains in the
mempool. That's great, don't get me wrong, just it's much less ideal than a
solution not requiring additional
UTxOs to be reserved, managed, and additional onchain transactions.

Regarding chain efficiency. First, you wrote:
> As you've noted, an approach like precomitted different fee levels might
> work, but has substantial costs.

Well, i noted that it *does* work (at least for vaults). And it does incur a
cost, but it's inferior to the
other solutions. Then, sure sponsors' -like CPFP's- cost can be amortized. The
chain usage would still likely
be superior (depends on a case by case basis i'd say), but even then the
"direct" chain usage cost isn't what
matters most. As mentioned, the cost of using funds not internal to the
contract really is.

Regarding capital efficiency, again as noted in the post, it's the entire point
to use funds internal to the
contract ("pre-committed"). Sure external funding (by the means of sponsors or
any other technique) allows you
to allocate funds later on, or never. But we want contracts that are actually
enforceable, i guess?
On the other hand, pre-committing to all the possible fee-bumped levels
prevents you to dynamically add more
fees eventually. That's why you need to pre-commit to levels up to your assumed
"max feerate before i close
the contract". For "cold contracts" (vaults), timelocks prevent the DOS of
immediately using a large feerate.
For "hot contracts" a signature challenge is used to achieve the same. I know
the latter is imperfect, since
the lower the uptime risk (increase the number of network monitors) the higher
the DOS risk (as you duplicate
the key).. That's why i asked if anybody had some thoughts about this and if
there was a cleverer way of doing
it.

> This is also true for vaults where you know you only want to open 1 per month
> let's say, and not
> your vaults> per month, which pre-committing requires.

Huh? Pre-committing here is to pre-commit to levels of the revocation
("Cancel") transaction. It has nothing
to do with "activating" (using Revault's terminology) a vault, done by sharing
a signature for the Unvault
transaction.
You might have another vault design in mind whereby any deposited fund is
unvault-able. In this case, and as
with any other active contract, i think you need to have funds ready to pay for
the fees for the contract to
be enforceable. Whether these funds come from the contract's funds or from
externally-reserved UTxOs.

> you don't need a salt, you just need a unique payout addr (e.g. hardened
> derivation) per revocation txn and
> you cannot guess the branch.

Yeah, i preferred to go with 8 more vbytes. First because relying on never
reusing a derivation index is
brittle and also because it would make rescan much harder. Imagine having 256
fee levels, making 5 payments a
day for 200 days in a year. You'd have 256000 derivation indexes per year to
scan for if restoring frombackup.