> The whole point of a wallet vault is that you can get the security of a
multisig wallet without having to sign using as many keys.

In my view, the point of a vault is the ability to keep your primary wallet
keys in *highly* deep cold storage (e.g. metal backup only, not loaded on
any HW wallets, with geographically distributed shares and a slow
cumbersome process for collecting them), which is made possible because
you're not supposed to actually need to use these keys, except for the
extraordinary (typically once or twice in a lifetime?) circumstances of
theft.

The user can then use a warmer model for the keys they use more frequently
for the covenant-encumbered two-step spending. But these warmer keys can
themselves also be cold and/or multi-sig, yet more accessible. For example,
a 2-of-2 with standard hardware wallets you have within reach in your
apartment.

So if you have a cold wallet that you anticipate having to access once
every, say, 2-3 months, no matter what scheme you currently use to secure
it, you can improve your overall security by using that same scheme for
securing the covenant-encumbered keys, then use a colder more secure scheme
for your primary keys under the assumption that you'll only have to access
them at most once every several years.

IIUC what you were describing is that you can use your regular multisig
scheme for the primary cold wallet keys, and a 1-of-1 for the
covenant-encumbered keys (which can even be hot on your phone etc).

Both approaches are valid, one gets you more security while the other gets
you more convenience. And there is of course a whole range of options that
can be chosen in between that gets you some of both.

shesek