Hi AJ,

Thanks to setup a new laboratory for consensus upgrades experiment! Idea
was exposed during the last LN Summit, glad to see there is a useful fork
now.

While I think one of the problem particular in the current stagnation about
consensus upgrades has been well scoped by your proposal, namely on
formalizing the thorough analysis process to which an upgrade proposal
should be subject too, there are more issues or bounds to wonder on, at
least from my perspective.

Laying out fine-grained stages of the development process (research,
development, evaluation, deployment) sounds compelling to bring clarity to
everyone. However, I doubt it captures well the more realistic, chaotic
process from which new Bitcoin ideas and techniques are emerging. In
practice, consensus upgrades, akin to the sustenance of new scientific
theories or engineering principles in the wider creative areas of life, are
following an uncertain path of hazardous steps: seminal half-baked
intuitions, whiteboard modeling, code or quantitative experiments, loose
set of ideas pollination, peers feedbacks integration, etc before to mature
in some solidified proposals.

Said succinctly, in the genesis of creative ideas, evaluation doesn't
happen at a single clear point but all along the idea lifetime, where this
evaluation is as much done by the original author than its peers and a
wider audience. Sometimes really formally, e.g in academics with PhD thesis
defense. For Bitcoin, rather than to "declare" on the when and where
upgrades evaluation should happen once for all, I think a more open
evaluation process we can carry on is gathering and maintaining the factual
material and reasoning frameworks around solidified proposals, on which
each community stakeholder individually can assign a grounded judgement.
Those judgments are likely sources of new refinement of the upgrades
themselves.

Under that perspective, I believe a functional upgrades experimentation
platform as proposed by bitcoin-inquisition is very valuable, as it should
allow upgrades "champions" (CTV, ANYPREVOUT, TLUV, "fraud proofs" ops
primitives, etc) to loop faster in the R&D cycles, raise earlier awareness
on their work existence and as it's all open to assemble team around their
proposals. (Effectively, covenants upgrades and their associated use-cases
offered so much complexity that it's becoming less and less a one-man
job...).

I would still expose a concern to not downgrade in the pure empiricism in
matter of consensus upgrades. I.e, slowly emerging the norm of a working
prototype running on bitcoin-inquisition` as a determining factor of the
soundness of a proposal. E.g with "upgrading lightning to support eltoo", a
running e2e won't save us to think the thousands variants of pinnings, the
game-theory soundness of a eltoo as mechanism in face of congestions, the
evolvability of APO with more known upgrades proposals or the
implementation complexity of a fully fleshed-out state machine and more
questions.

That said, a e2e implementation, partial or complete, would at least make
the serious analysis process easier. Moreover, the benefit of having e2e
implems runnable by everyone on bitcoin-inquisition would likely lower the
bar to have independent consensus upgrade analysis, likely a source of new
relevant feedback.

I can only share the sentiment expressed that this alternative open
approach of consensus changes avoids the gradual establishment of a trusted
group, even informal. In the past, to the best of my knowledge, most of the
substance of the Taproot softfork daily development happened on
semi-offline communication channels and the strong design rational
decisions at CoreDev editions. While not discrediting the high-quality
feedback than one can gather during those types of in-person engineering
meetings, for neutrality and openness of the Bitcoin upgrades process it
could be great to only consider them as source of feedbacks and move
progressively the crux of the upgrades R&D process online, open to anyone
interested. Moreover, it would bind more adequately the reality of a
growing development ecosystem, where we have to deal with an increasing
diversity of technical, social and geographical community stakeholders. I
acknowledge there is a hard challenge to maintain high-signal, low-noise
online communication channels and spaces about context-rich issues like
upgrades, however that might be the type of challenge we have to solve if
we care about everyone using Bitcoin to truly be peers. At least my 2 sats.

About the risk of latent centralization of global default signets
miners/bitcoin-inquisition maintainers, I don't think I'm worried about it.
With time, I would guess we might have multiple experimental signets with
different series of patches, as some patches might invalidate the
observations of another upgrade. E,g if one implements the "weird" ideas
about changes in the block reward issuance schedule discussed during the
summer, another one might not want "noise" interferences with new
fee-bumping primitives as the miner incentives are modified. About the
bitcoin-inquisition fork maintainers themselves becoming gatekeepers of
consensus upgrades changes, best we can do is maintain high-quality
documentation and knowledge base to lower the forking cost of the platform
for any community stakeholder.

Anyway, I hold the belief that the more initiatives we see to modernize the
"consensus-upgrades" production factory in order to scale with the current
dimensions of the Bitcoin ecosystem, better we're. I hope the upcoming
Contracting Primitives WG will be able to document and discuss some of the
relevant experiments run on bitcoin-inquisition. Time and work will tell
how they fit all together, where they complement each other and synergies
that are nurtured.

Speaking for myself, looking forward to experimenting with CoinPool code
components on bitcoin-inquistion in the future!

Best,
Antoine