Hi Dave,

> One way to address this risk is by turning it into a certainty.  If the
price of BTC increases between when the invoice is generated and when a
transaction is included in a block, give the customer a future purchase
credit equal in value to the difference between the price they paid and
the value of the purchase at confirmation time.  Now there's no benefit
to the customer from canceling their transaction.

There are several methods to approach this issue, one of which is by using
multiple exchanges from different countries as there are always possibilities
for arbitrage. Example:

The user purchases a gift card on Bitrefill for 0.01 BTC, and then Bitrefill
cash it out at one of the three exchanges where the price of bitcoin is 19000,
19100, or 19500. However, price used for gift card payment was average of all
3. This should never be solved at protocol level as speculation of price is
irrelevant when making RBF policy default in bitcoin core.

There are different types of businesses that accept bitcoin payments and its
good for bitcoin. However, everyone has their own way to deal with the issues.
Example:

In a website for booking flights, you may cancel a user's ticket if they
couldn't make a payment within a certain amount of time and confirmations. I'm
not sure how gift cards operate, but they are used for carding, fraud etc.
frequently.

Its important to give priority to bitcoin projects that could improve demand
for block space even if opening and closing channels. I would [quote][0]
something from a pull request by Michael Folkson although I do not agree with
everything he writes:

"I don't believe in added code (complexity) for issues that can be resolved in
alternative repos and through communication with the ecosystem."

Things that could help improve business for companies that accept bitcoin
payments could be done in other ways. Zero conf is old school but we can try
new ways and do partnerships with more organizations (outside North America and
Europe). I work for an exchange as developer although CTO won't write an email
and CEO don't want to spam the mailing list with non technical things. I
request on their behalf that we consider all businesses and some are not even
aware of fullRBF. Example: Lolli or Gosats

TL;DR

Full RBF should be tried and if default is an issue, devs should convince some
nodes and miners or agree on one of the pull requests. I prefer [AJ's pull
request][1] because it gives time for review and testing. It is important to
test as many websites, apps, projects etc. as possible before making something
default and also consider the percent of usage.

[0]: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/26323#issuecomment-1280742475
[1]: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/26323

/dev/fd0

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.