Good morning Andrew,

> Can output amounts be mapped to a tap branch? For the goal of secure partial
> spends of a single UTXO? Looking for feedback on this idea. I got it from
> Taro.

Not at all.

The issue you are facing here is that only one tap branch will ever consume the
entire input amount.
That is: while Taproot has multiple leaves, only exactly one leaf will ever be
published onchain and that gets the whole amount.

What you want is multiple tree leaves where ALL of them will EVENTUALLY be
published, just not right now.

In that case, look at the tree structures for `OP_CHECKTEMPLATEVERIFY`, which
are exactly what you are looking for, and help make `OP_CTV` a reality.

Without `OP_CHECKTEMPLATEVERIFY` it is possible to use presigned transactions
in a tree structure to do this same construction.
Presigned transactions are known to be larger than `OP_CHECKTEMPLATEVERIFY` ---
signatures on taproot are 64 bytes of witness, but an `OP_CHECKTEMPLATEVERIFY`
in a P2WSH reveals just 32 bytes of witness plus the `OP_CHECKTEMPLATEVERIFY`
opcode.

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj