Hi Anthony,

> As far as salience/notability goes, personally, I'd see ownership of
inscriptions as a negative indicator; "hey, when I was young and foolish I
wasted x-thousand bytes on the bitcoin blockchain, pointlessly creating a
permanent cost for everyone trying to use bitcoin in future". That's not
unforgivable; people do all sorts of foolish things, and bitcoin's meant
to survive attacks, not just foolish pranks. But it doesn't seem like
something to brag about or encourage, either, at least if you want bitcoin
to be a monetary network that's usable in practice by many/most people.

Moving transactions off-chain because of emotions or personal opinions does not
make sense.
Everyone running a bitcoin node is aware of block limits and they could be
filled with different type of transactions including [non-inscription txs][0]
that use witness for complex scripts.

> And if
a public site like ordinals.net is willing to store all the inscriptions
that might be on the blockchain, they could just as easily store the
same amount of off-chain digital assets.

[Ord explorer][1] is open source and gets inscriptions from blockchain.

> Obviously blockchains aren't the only "scarce" good out there. If scarcity
is your goal, there's two very easy ways to make your own scarcity.

Using pow doesn't make nostr relays "scarce". Its mainly used to avoid spam but
some spammers on nostr have proved it isn't enough.

> then in the off-chain world, they would look like two events:

Nostr relays do not guarantee that these events will be stored [forever][2].

> As I've said above, the off-chain approach seems
much better aligned with incentives to me, with the people who gain the
benefit from that association paying the cost of preserving it.

Cost for running bitcoin node do not change with inscriptions and do not depend
on the content or intent of any bitcoin transaction. It is a permissionless
network and users can decide how to use money and blockspace.

Campaigns to censor such transactions or other efforts to move them off-chain
are creating a slippery slope that could affect bitcoin more than some
inscriptions. If Casey is harassed enough on social media and ord project moves
inscriptions off-chain, there would be forks of it doing it on-chain.

[0]: https://twitter.com/mononautical/status/1621663167582437376
[1]: https://github.com/casey/ord
[2]: https://twitter.com/damusapp/status/1621431556048035841

dev/fd0