Hi Yuval,

> Since the absolute fee amount is already committed to by the provided

> (`SIGHASH_ALL`) signatures but the total transaction weight is not,
Mallory can

> broadcast any valid signatures up to the maximum standard weight and
minimum

> relay fees, or in collusion with a miner, up to consensus limits.

> This effectively steals a fee from Alice et al, as their signatures do not

> commit to a feerate directly or indirectly.

>From what I understand, there are many inputs for the coinjoin transaction,
the latest signer provides an inflated witness downgrading the multi-party
transaction feerate. It doesn't sound to me a fee siphoning as occurring
with loose malleability [0], rather another case of transaction-relay
jamming where the adversary's goal is to slow down the confirmation of the
transaction to waste everyone timevalue.

I think the issue has already been mentioned to advocate updating Core's
mempool acceptance policy, and allows wtxid-replacement [1]. There is also
a description available here [2].

To mitigate, among the peer-to-peer style of mitigations, one is of course a
reputation strategy or monetary strategy, where the asymmetries in
counterparties reputation are compensated with out-of-band
fees/credentials. I don't think increasing adversary costliness is that
efficient as there is a scaling effect (e.g the feerate of the previous
transaction can be used to feed N outputs for N dissociated attack
contexts). Signature ordering supposes also a reputation basis, and it
doesn't exclude giving a transaction construction edge to the reputational
counterparty (e.g a LSP "promising" a dual-funding UTXO to X distinct
participant, picking up the first to yield back a signature).

Best,

Antoine

[0]
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/lightning-dev/2020-September/002796.html