Sorry for the repeated replies, but I would like to make one more remark
regarding the 1 character "quick check".

Because the 1 character "quick check" state is so small, the procedure
becomes simplified to just using a single table.  You start with the
specified initial state, which would be the bech32 character '9', and then
you have a lookup mapping (<current state>, <next input character>) ->
<next state>.  You go through the table for each character after the
prefix, updating the state as you go along. ('9','2') -> '0', then
('0','N') -> '4', and so on until you reach the final state which should be
'5'.  If you like volvelles, one could be designed to implement this lookup
table.

However, I do want to note that an adjustment could be made to the codex32
generator so that this 1 character "quick check" table would become
identical to the Bech32 addition table.  In other words the 1 character
quick check would become the same as adding up all the characters and
checking that you get the required final constant.

If this change were free to make, I would probably make it.  However such
an adjustment would come at a cost.  The current generator was chosen to
have three identical coefficients in a row (you can find the generator in
the appendix of the draft BIP).  This special property slightly eases the
computation needed when creating checksums by hand (no compromise to the
quality of the checksum itself).  If we made the above adjustment to the
codex32 generator, we would lose this property of having three identical
coefficients in a row.

Therefore, I am pretty hesitant to make this adjustment.  Firstly the 1
character quick check is simply too small to be safely used.  While it does
guarantee to detect single character errors, it has a 1 in 32 chance of
failing to detect more errors.  I think a 3% failure rate is pretty bad,
and would definitely recommend people performing quick checks use a minimum
size of 2 (which has a 0.1% failure rate).  Secondly the difference between
using the addition table/volvelle versus a specific table/volvelle for the
purpose of performing 1 character quick checks (which you ought not to be
doing anyways) is pretty minimal.  The addition table is possibly slightly
less error prone to use because it is symmetric, but other than that the
amount of work to do is pretty much the same either way.

My conclusion is that it isn't worth compromising the ease of hand
computation for the sake of possibly making a
too-low-quality-checksum-that-no-one-should-be-using slightly more
convenient, but I thought I should mention it at least.