Hi list,
I was motivated to look more carefully at the question of the security of using
signature adaptors after recently getting quite enthused about the idea of
using adaptors across N signing sessions to do a kind of multiparty swap. But
of course security analysis is also much more important for the base case of 2
party swapping, which is of .. some considerable practical importance :)

There is work (referenced in Section 3 here) that's pretty substantial on "how
secure are adaptors" (think in terms of security reductions) already from I
guess the 2019-2021 period. But I wanted to get into scenarios of multiple
adaptors at once or multiple signing sessions at once with the *same* adaptor
(as mentioned above, probably this is the most important scenario).

To be clear this is the work of an amateur and is currently unreviewed - hence
(a) me posting it here and (b) putting the paper on github so people can easily
add specific corrections or comments if they like:

https://github.com/AdamISZ/AdaptorSecurityDoc/blob/main/adaptorsecurity.pdf

I'll note that I did the analysis only around MuSig, not MuSig2.

The penultimate ("third case"), that as mentioned, of "multiple signing
sessions, same adaptor" proved to be the most interesting: in trying to reduce
this to ECDLP I found an issue around sequencing. It may just be irrelevant but
I'd be curious to hear what others think about that.

If nothing else, I'd be very interested to hear what experts in the field have
to say about security reductions for this primitive in the case of multiple
concurrent signing sessions (which of course has been analyzed very carefully
already for base MuSig(2)).

Cheers,
AdamISZ/waxwing

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.