Very interesting for you to bring this up. I had a similar idea for a
totally different use case. Greg recently pointed out an interesting
dilemma saying that (significantly) larger blocks would lead to
centralization. So I've been working on a design for a decentralized
pool that can handle gigabyte sized blocks by splitting up the work
among its members.

At the moment P2Pool nodes all verify all transactions in all blocks.
But it seems feasible to create a system where miners who have over the
last 10000 blocks contributed to the pool's proof-of-work are allocated
a proportional piece of verification work with redundancy and
deterministic randomness that makes manipulation of the allocation
extremely difficult. Such a pool would be very unlikely to accept an
invalid block or transaction in practice.

However, with these block sizes obviously non miners are going to have
to be SPV, so even just a 0.0001% chance of an invalid block being
accepted has profound implications for the network. If a decentralized
pool like that had more than 50% of the hashing power and it accepted a
single invalid block, that tainted chain would be forever regarded as
valid by SPV clients. There needs to be some way to recover once an
invalid block has been accidentally accepted by an imperfect miner.

Based on that I also started to think about proofs of invalidity that
would circulate. Basically you would add a new network message that
would contain the proof that a specific signature and therefore the
whole block is invalid.

As long as the block's proof-of-work is valid and the block's parent is
one of the last n = 50000 blocks, the message is relayed (subject to a
cooldown, warnings would be less frequently relayed the older the
offending block is.)

The mechanism works in exactly the way Mike mentions: It allows even SPV
clients to punish any miner who is dishonest or negligent with their
verification work. That gives miners a good reason not to be dishonest
or negligent in the first place.

(Motivation:

Processing more transactions means that hashing is a smaller part of the
overall cost for miners. For example, paying for 50 BTC worth of hashing
per block costs 0.05 BTC per tx at 1000 tx/block, but only 0.0005 BTC at
100000 tx/block.

Number of transactions is a lever that lets us have lower fees and more
network security at the same time. Like Greg correctly pointed out, this
is not worth having if we have to sacrifice decentralization. But if we
don't, it becomes a no-brainer.

My IMTUO proposal [1] showed a way where miners don't need a copy of the
set of unspent outputs at all. This means the minimum storage
requirements per node no longer grow with the number of transactions.

However, the price for this was about five times greater bandwidth usage
per verified transaction. Since every miner still had to verify every
transaction it looked like bandwidth would become an even bigger problem
with IMTUO than storage would have been without. However, if a small
miner can do less than 100% verifications and still contribute, suddenly
IMTUO may become viable. That would accomplish the holy grail of Bitcoin
scalability where the network successfully runs on trust-atomic entities
all of which can choose to store only a small fraction of the block
chain, verify a small fraction of transactions and perform a small
fraction of the hashing.)

[1] https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/User:Justmoon/IMTUO