Here's the conversation I had with Mike that Gregory requested a link to:

Thanks!

Bad or hacked client devs is indeed a huge, worrying problem. The official client is addressing this with a system called gitian, where multiple developers all compile the same source to the same binary and then sign the results. Multi-signatures raise the bar for releasing hacked clients a lot. We're starting to investigate this with bitcoinj too, but it's a lot of work.

Generally, the more people you have to involve in a conspiracy, the less likely it is to succeed. If a few miners started to dominate the system they have strong financial incentives to cheat, alternatively, they may be subjected to government pressure. Having to get the client developers involved too makes it much harder, especially as users have to actually upgrade.

I started a thread on the development mailing list with your suggestion, by the way.