On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 10:55 AM, John Dillon
<john.dillon...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I'm one of the people experimenting in this area.  I've long argued
>> that a zero-output transaction should be permitted -- 100% miner fee
>> -- as an elegant proof of sacrifice.  Unfortunately that requires a
>> hard fork.  Also, for most people, it seems likely that a change
>> transaction would be generated.  That, then, would generate an
>> already-standard transaction, where inputs > outputs.
>
> 100% miner fee is not a proof of anything because the miner could have created
> that transaction for themselves. You must have proof that all miners had an
> equal opportunity at collecting the fee, and the only way to do that is by
> Peter's announce-commit protocol, or his unspendable until after n blocks
> proposal.

Absolutely.  It wholly depends on the security model, and
economic-incentives model.  Some use models simply don't care if the
miner created a transaction that gave the fee to themselves.  It might
even be /encouraged/ to do this!  Sure they are paying themselves, but
given bitcoin network difficulty is so high, simply obtaining
payments-go-myself-as-miner transactions is itself difficult.
Producing an identity (my goal) or whatever is just fine, and in such
case becomes simply an additional block reward -- an additional
incentive to buy into this identity creation/management system.

Or exchange "identity" with another token, for another data service of
your choice.

This is no longer a strict "proof of sacrifice" system, if such
behavior is encouraged, but it is nonetheless valid.

--
Jeff Garzik
Senior Software Engineer and open source evangelist