Bitcoin's volatility is not a symptom of its architecture, but a reflection
of the collective knowledge of its future acceptance. Currently that
knowledge is based on very volatile sources: how some senator feels about
it this morning, which direction departments in the Chinese government are
leaning. The issue is that proof-of-work is missing from society's end. As
time goes on, laws, regulations and policies will start to form, people
will challenge them, they will be reviewed and updated, they will be
challenged again on different grounds, re-reviewed, and so on. Each of
those confirmations will make it that much harder to change earlier
confirmations. It won't matter anymore what some senator thinks this
morning because she will have months of hard-work ahead of her before she
can affect any change. It also doesn't matter if the rulings are positive
or negative, just having them will add stability to Bitcoin at some value
between $0.0001 to $100,000 per coin.