At this point I'm not sure how much further work people want to do on this:
I got the impression that Trezor will ship soon, and Thomas V seemed
satisfied too. I'm not sure we can get all wallets to be fully
interoperable given the flexibility inherent in BIP32 and people's
differing use cases.

Andreas: good point but I really hope nobody ever deletes a seed after all
this work we put in to make backups so easy! I'm not sure we can really
stop it anyway: not unless we make the seed a full blown data structure
with hints to other apps that they should refuse to load it. And it's a bit
late for that now.