Using higher gap limit in the software is not prohibited, but then it
breaks the standard "as is", in mean that importing such wallet to another
BIP64 wallet won't recover the funds properly, without proper settings of
gap limit...

Gap limit 20 is the most sane defaults for majority of users (actually I
think it is a bit higher than is really necessary for 99% users) and
majority of users won't need to change it at any time.

Marek