Although I agree 32 bits for a version is overkill, I really don't like the
idea of you simply ignoring the protocol spec to try and reduce your own
costs. Especially because in future we should make unknown versions a
validation rule, so we can easily trigger hard forks.

If this change was introduced through a proper process and software was
properly upgraded to understand the new header format, that'd be one thing.
Arbitrarily exploiting what is IMHO a missing rule in the rule set to shave
a bit more profit is something else.