On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 02:38:06AM -0700, Mark Friedenbach wrote:
> I'm not convinced of the necessity of this idea in general, but if it
> were to be implemented I would recommend serializing the nVersion field
> as a VarInt (Pieter Wuille's multi-byte serialization format) and using
> the remaining space of the 4 bytes as your extra nonce.
>
> That would allow serialization of numbers up to 0x1020407f (slightly
> over 28 bits) before the 4-byte field is exhausted. For version numbers
> less than 0x204080 there will be at least one byte of padding space left
> over for extra-nonce usage (two bytes if less than 0x4080, three bytes
> if less than 0x80). For version values up to 127, the format is exactly
> identical when the padding bytes are zero.

Neat idea. It might somewhat reduce the flexibility in which the version
field can be used in the future, though.

For the sake of simplicity I lean towards a fixed length version field,
but would be ok with either. Keep in mind that version numbers can be
recycled after a couple of years. So there is effectively zero benefit
in allowing varints to extend beyond 2 bytes. For that reason personally
I think 1 byte of version number would be enough.

--
Timo Hanke
PGP 1EFF 69BC 6FB7 8744 14DB  631D 1BB5 D6E3 AB96 7DA8